8.03.2015

Your First Gun On A Budget: Meet The SD9VE

Self defense on a budget.

It's been awhile since I pondered the age old question of "I'm getting my first handgun, what should I buy?" But I was asked recently with one caveat: "I'm getting my first handgun, what should I buy? I'm on a budget." Lucky for him, I already had the answer sitting in my house, locked up in safe. I bought one new years ago when the VE models were just released.

Though, I wasn't a first time buyer looking for my first gun. I simply wanted a cheaper gun for the collection, one that I didn't mind getting scratched up. One I could count on for the car, hiking trips and such. A dependable back up that wouldn't break the bank. Regardless of all that, my rationale for buying it was essentially the same as a first time buyer. The gun simply had to go bang when I pulled the trigger, acceptable accuracy, good capacity, and size wasn't necessarily relevant - it was more or less for home defense, maybe tucked away in the car, not something that had to be of small stature to be carried everyday.

So, again, with the question being what is a good first handgun on a budget, I think the SD9VE is a pretty darn good answer. Especially if you want that new gun smell and of course S&W's great customer service and warranty. On the other end of the spectrum, the used market is always an option but for first timers, buying new might just be easier. For around $300 you get a quality new gun with the SD9VE, for $300 used you don't always know what you'll end up with, especially if you're a novice.

With the SD series you get two flavors. 9mm and .40. Not to debate calibers and start a whole new discussion, but I think 9mm is plenty effective, affordable and the lighter recoil is easier for new shooters to manage. I went with the 9. Your mileage may vary.

For a first gun usually the starting point is semi auto or revolver. Both have pros and cons. I think most people can handle the mechanics of a semi auto, so if they are able to rack the slide easy and fully understand the operation of it, I recommend the semi auto pistol. For whatever reason if something simpler is necessary, you can't go wrong with a revolver either. The benefit of pistol, instead of a revolver, simply speaking, is more bullets and faster reloading. For a home defense gun that is important, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love revolvers but I love capacity, too.

With an SD9VE you get 16+1 capacity. 2 magazines and a lifetime warranty. Not to mention that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you buy a nice American product. For around 3 bills. Famed YouTuber Hickok45 seems to think its a pretty decent gun, too.

Overall, it's a pleasant gun to shoot. Recoil is soft, the slide is easy to manipulate, accuracy is decent at self defense ranges. As you may have heard, the big gripe is the trigger. It's long, takes some practice and takes some getting used to. But it's nothing a little time at the range can't take care of it. Besides, look at a guy like Hickok45. He's a shooter. You didn't seem him whining that the pull wasn't perfect. He adapted, overcame and put the shots where they needed to go.

For around $300 new, that's a minor detail in an otherwise great gun. Not a perfect gun by any means, but for it's price point, it's hard to beat it.

Oh, and my budget minded friend did in fact get himself his own SD9VE, too. Not a bad starting point at all.


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8/15/2015

    For awhile I considered a few models from Taurus and Keltec. I bought an sd9ve instead and think I made the right choice. The trigger isn't that bad either. Very reliable gun too!

    ReplyDelete