6.07.2016

Fenix UC01: A Modern Key Chain Companion



After getting a free purple CL05 from Fenix and subsequently adding it to my wife's already colorful key chain, I figured it was now time for a similar light of my own. When it comes to upping your light game, there's plenty of choices for your keys.

Ultimately, for me it came down to the E05 and the UC01. I liked the traditional look of the E05, as well as the 85 lumen output. The run times and throw are good, making it very much a light with full sized usability, just in a small package.

However, with the E05 utilizing a twisty head switch, the trade off is two handed operation. For some this isn't an issue. I could probably live with it but most of the time I have an E12 in my pocket, which has a tail switch and is brighter. Sure, the E05 could serve well as a back up but I want simple, effortless one handed operation. Chances are many times at night I already have my keys in hand, so a simple push of a button would be a convenient option for basic illumination.

The E05 is no slouch, but I already have a few other lights from the E series in my arsenal. With that said, I don't think it would get much use on my keys.

The UC01 seemed appeared to be a good choice: Wide beam pattern, USB chargeable, 3 modes, battery indicator light, single button control and moderately waterproof.

My impression is the overall ease of use with this would result in a more functional light for my keys. I believe I would use this more often and not necessarily feel like I need to grab something easier to use or something brighter. So, the UC01 wins. I place my order and find it in my mailbox a few days later.

Now the fun part...

Ripping open the tightly sealed packaging. I think Fenix uses Level III body armor when packaging their products.



Inside is a bit barren compared to other Fenix items. In this case, there's the standard warranty card, instructions and fold out ad for other lights. Obviously, no spare battery or O ring with this one.

In terms of size, the UC01 was smaller than I anticipated. It is styled like the old flat, rectangular key lights of the past, but with a modern twist. However, it's virtually the same width and height of a mini Bic lighter. It's a tiny little thing. Despite the small stature, it still feels fairly rugged. The front end has two little "horns" to aid in protecting the LED in the event of a drop and the rear securely holds the included ring. The soft rubber USB cover is easy enough to manipulate, but still feels snug when it's inserted. I wouldn't try and submerge this light, but it still boasts a water proof rating, so a little rain won't be an issue.

Operation is simple. To check the battery level you press the switch. The indicator light will shine green when at a good battery level, red when it is getting low and then blinking red when it's critically low. To turn it on you hold the switch down for 1/2 second. Then a quick press cycles the light from Low < Medium < High. Long press again to turn off. Mode memory ensures you start where you left off next time you use the light. Even though the UC01 is small, it feels secure in your hand, like a little remote control.

The beam is quite distinct. Very cool tint and the output is very wide and uniform. It isn't so much like a traditional flashlight with a hot spot and defined edges, but instead a simple, even spot light. You won't light up your entire backyard with this, but it does make for a very soft flood light that covers a wide area. Overall, the UC01 is excellent performing, modern key chain light. It's small, weighs next to nothing, charges with a common USB cable, displays how the battery is holding up and boasts a respectable 45 lumens with efficient run times and battery regulation to back it up.

To me, this light is what a key light is supposed to be: Small, bright and handy. A wide flood beam to me is more useful than a narrow, throwy beam in this format. I'm using it primarily for simple up close tasks - Finding a key hole, rummaging through my dark car, walking into a dark house, locating an item in a dark corner, reading in low light conditions etc. With that said, the UC01 is quite an awesome light and is a welcome addition to my key chain!

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/09/2016

    How does it compare to the nitecore tube? everyone seems to recommend that one as a light for your keys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend of mine has the Nitecore, and I've used a few times. Honestly, both lights are fine products but the Tube seems a bit over-hyped, especially now that the UC01 has just come out.

      Generally people are saying the Tube is better simply because it is smaller and allows "infinite ramping", in other words you can select output for the modes, spaced however you want from 1 to 45 lumens.

      The UC01 has 3 modes of 1/20/45 lumens, which is well spaced already, in my opinion. Sure, maybe a medium mode of 30 lumens would be useful but, your eyes really won't perceive much of a difference. It's a cool option, but I wouldn't say its as useful as it's made out to be.

      As far as the size, both are tiny and the difference is negligible.

      However, the main difference is the beam pattern. The Tube is more narrow and throwy, the Fenix is wide and floody, without much throw. If anything I think that should be the main deciding factor when buying.

      To me, a key chain light is a small light for a small task. You won't be exploring caves with either of these lights but you likely will be lighting up a key hole, searching on the ground for a lost item, reading in the dark or other close up illumination scenarios. To me a wide, even beam is more desirable in this format, as the Nitecore makes a bit of a hot spot up close.

      I do like the more natural tint of the Tube, as the UC01 is very cool. But otherwise the UC01 was basically everything I needed in a small light for my keys.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous12/27/2016

    I have both the Tube and the UC01 and I think more people tend to instinctively recommend the Tube because it was released first but generally I like the UC01 better.

    I prefer the UC01 interface more, 3 well spaced modes, memory, battery indicator. I like the engagement of the switch more. The wide beam profile tends to be more useful to me.

    The Tube definitely throws more, thus you can see further with it (the emitter is a bit larger) and the tint is more of a pure white and a bit more pleasing than the blue-ish UC01.

    Overall it comes down to if you want more reach and distance with the beam (Tube) or more of a close up, wide angle beam (UC01). I tend to use a small light like this for more close up tasks, so the UC01 is my choice.

    The only drawback is the beam is quite blue in comparison, but I like the controls better than the Tube.

    You can't go wrong with either (although 2 of my 3 Tubes were defective, my UC01 has been flawless for 6 months now) it just depends what type of beam of want.

    ReplyDelete