8.17.2013

The 1988-1992 Mazda MX6 GT

Under appreciated in its time: The MX6 GT turbo


When it comes to import sport coupes of the late 80's, there were many notable and innovative cars produced. Despite many endearing qualities the Mazda MX6 GT was often overlooked at a time when many respectable sports cars entered the market.

The MX6 entered the market in 1987, with its release for the 1988 model year. A year later Ford released its take on the MX6 platform, based on its partnership with Mazda. Though, the Ford Probe was mechanically identical to the MX6, it was arguably more popular perhaps due to its less conservative styling and sportier appeal.

Mazda utilized a 4 cylinder 2.2 liter SOHC engine for the cars. Essentially, it was a stroked 2.0 liter engine that also was found in their 4 cylinder trucks of that era. Despite being a torquey, low revving engine it was still fairly peppy inside the fairly light MX6 chassis.

However, to take its performance to the next level Mazda added a turbocharger to its GT model and the result was 145 HP and 190 ft lbs of torque. The rumor was Mazda actually used numbers measured at the wheels, rather than at the crank. Many subsequent owners who measured their wheel horsepower at a dyno found the numbers strikingly close to Mazda's seemingly conservative figures. Many speculated the lowball estimate to keep the focus on the RX7 as their flagship sports coupe of the time.

The MX6 GT did post respectable numbers at the track with a 0 - 60 mph time of a bit over 7 seconds and low to mid 15 second quarter mile times. With its short and torquey power band, the MX6 may have been a handful launching from a dead stop, but from a roll the car truly shined, beating virtually any comparable sport compact of its time. The MX6's mid range power was unmatched.

Despite having a very limited aftermarket selection of parts, people did what they could with this more obscure import. Exhausts were often custom, parts were fabricated, turbos were bolted on from other cars. Many folks were able to achieve well over 200 horsepower with some work on the turbo model but, the most notable improvements were from those who swapped the 2.2 SOHC engine for the European 2.0 DOHC Mazda engine and turbocharged that. It wasn't as readily available as many sought after Honda engines, but some work and ingenuity was just part of the game with these cars. The result was a more linear, higher revving power band that produced around 300 horsepower.

Whether you had an engine swap with all the goodies, a few bolt ons for your GT model, or just a clean base model...half the fun with these cars were answering the simple question of "What kind of car is that?"


5 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/13/2016

    Definitely a fun car from the late 80s/early 90s that sadly was overshadowed by other sport compacts of that era, and well of course, the RX7, too. Not to mention that it came at a time where imports were utilizing high revving DOHC format. So Mazda's torquey SOHC turbo 4 banger was the black sheep of the bunch I suppose.

    My Dad bought a red GT new in 1990 and I was lucky enough to occasionally drive it when I got my license in the late 90s and then subsequently owned it from 2000-2005. Amazing mid range power, it just flew on the highway.

    Sadly, life was too busy to keep up with the car. It had major rust issues, too. Definitely a fun car with a lot of good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/21/2016

    I have a 1990 MX6 GT Turbo (white with blue interior) and I love it. It was my daily driver until the head gasket blew. I enjoy driving that over my 6 speed C230 Mercedes Benz (1.8ltr Supercharged), but until I get her gasket fixed, in the garage she sits. Almost stock with the exception of the Traxx Springs, DNX Exhaust, Cold Air Intake and some color matched 17 Inch Drag 2 wheels. She's a beast, runs out on the highway like a scalped ape on crack. One of my favorite cars ever owned, besides my 1998 Ford Contour SVT. Definitely keep your eyes open for one, as they are the perfect sleeper with a little fabrication and ingenuity. I've had mine for decades and just can't seem to part with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome you still have yours!

    I had two 1st gens, a 91 LX and an 88 GT. I could never manage to find the perfect one. The 91 was in mint condition, but it was automatic LX. The GT was a 5 speed with a new engine and tranny but the body developed horrible rust issues.

    I would have loved to keep it but it just had too many issues and I didn't have proper storage at the time.

    For mine I had it chipped, full 3 inch exhaust, Magnaflow muffler, manual boost controller, Intake. It was pretty quick. When I raced it at the 1/4 mile strip a few people asked if it had nitrous. Ha! It has some serious pull when it got going.

    I'd love another one but aside from an DX model I see locally, I haven't seen a GT in YEARS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8/13/2017

    Yes I just bought my 3rd Mazda FE3 DOHC last week for $300 and the best - although it is in the form of a Ford Telstar(I have heard they were meant to have claimed 120kw alloy sump - who knows) just needed a new CAS to get going again. The other 2 were a Mazda Capella, and a 1987 Mazda 626 GLX which I converted to FE3 DOHC. I am going to eventually put a Turbo on it, Megasquirt ECU, etc. These are one of my favourite cars and I also believe Mazda underrated the power output of these cars. but yeah solid 1980's Mazda quality engineering good for 500hp with stock internals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this brought back good memories. I had a 1990 GT turbo in black with a gray interior. I think I got it in 94 or 95. It stands to this day the most fun car I've ever owned.

    ReplyDelete