8.18.2013

Sharp and Pointy Things: Kabar Last Ditch Knife

The LDK with its sheath

 At first glance, this little Kabar looks like some what of a novelty, or perhaps even a sophisticated prison shank. The truth is, it's really whatever you want it to be. While its not meant to be a heavy duty cutting tool, it could be utilized as a nifty box cutter at work, a fancy letter opener or quite simply a wickedly pointy compact defensive blade that fits snugly in the 5th pocket of your jeans. It wouldn't necessarily be ideal to filet a fish with but, it still is a handy blade nonetheless for the occasional light, menial task.

But let's face it, this is the Last Ditch Knife. If you can get away with using it at the office without scaring your coworkers, more power to you. But, for the rest of us, it will fill the role of a discreet, concealable, last resort assailant stabber. Something to use when you've exhausted all your other options when faced with imminent harm. It's extremely sharp, very pointy and with a few stabs or slashes your average bad guy will be getting out of your personal space really quickly.

Where you can conceal it is only limited by your imagination. It could be a neck knife, in your wallet, or even your shoes. In its sheath, its about the size of a credit card, so that allows for a myriad of storage possibilities. Even in more unconventional carry methods, it fits snugly enough in the sheath to work just about in any conceivable way.

I opted to lace my Kabar up in an old pair of black shoes. It's fairly comfortable, virtually unnoticeable in jeans and I suppose if I had to, I could pass it off as some type of orthopedic insert, or even a trendsetting leave-in shoe horn. Okay, that might be a stretch but still, it's really discreet.

Laced up and ready to go

Truth be told, I would not recommend this little guy to people with big hands. It's just so small that I can't imagine any sort of competent grip could be achieved. I would imagine some paracord could help but regardless, this will be of no use if you will be fumbling around with it and potentially dropping the knife.

Despite the small stature, no one would want to be on the receiving end of this

With that said, I have smaller hands. I can manage a grip on it comfortably a few ways. A simple pistol grip works and there is enough pressure between my index finer, thumb and the knife that I would feel confident wielding it. However, instinctively I almost always put my middle finger through the hole on the handle for an even better grip and added retention. My finger is just thin enough for it to be comfortable and once I make a fist its doubtful I will be losing it. Alternatively, slipping my ring finger in and orienting the blade between my index and middle fingers would result in some painful jabs.

Positioned like a claw for some quick strikes

This Kabar clearly won't be anyone's first line of defense but the name alone should be indicative of that. With numerous ways to stow it away, it does however serve its purpose as a last resort weapon to defend yourself with. Plus, for $15 its easy on the wallet and an interesting addition to your collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment