6.04.2013

Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .38: Up Close and Personal Protection

A modern twist on an old classic.


I initially picked this gun up for a couple of reasons. First, I wanted an "all purpose" revolver for at home and on the go that is a suitable defense caliber. One that is small enough to conceal, but not necessarily something tiny. Also, I wanted something with a laser for no practical purpose whatsoever. Its just a cool bonus, and once I tire of it I still have a functional weapon. I didn't really want to simply add on a laser to an existing firearm, though that always remains a possibility but I just figured I could kill two birds with one stone with a factory laser equipped revolver. Not the most practical choice but hey, you only live once.

The Bodyguard .38 isn't really an ideal primary defense weapon, it has its pros and cons. But it does have enough merit to make a worthy addition to your collection, under the right circumstances. Ultimately, its going to be a love it or hate gun for most folks but for some it could definitely fit the bill.

If you are a die hard S&W purist, you will likely hate it for being configured in a decidedly non-S&W fashion. Its like driving an automatic for your whole life and then attempting to drive a stick. Shooting it will feel awkward and likely a turn off, but in fairness I think is more or less S&W's attempt to cater to the younger concealed carry market. Traditionalists will likely go back to their own tried and true models.

However, I was fairly new to revolvers so I didn't have to retrain myself or really adapt to a new shooting style. Obviously there is some guilt with not going with a more traditional choice for a first S&W revolver, but in the future I'd say there is a pretty good chance of adding another to the collection.

Shooting the BG proves to be bearable, but not something you will be spending hours at the range with. Its small, light, the kick is expected but it didn't come across as bad as I anticipated. This was with standard ammo, I would wager +P or the defensive stuff would be snappy to say the least.

Obviously given the nature of the gun, it doesn't excel at long range shots. Not to say a seasoned shooter couldn't effectively land some far shots, but in average hands you quickly realize its an up close and personal means of protection. Not something you are going to bring to a gun fight, but best described as a belly gun. Something that will immobilize an assailant that is too close for comfort or simply in tight quarters inside ones house. Not to say its by any means perfect for those applications but in many situations it will do its job.

The laser is essentially a novelty. Its not terribly accurate out of the box but is easily calibrated and once dialed in it was definitely allowing me to tighten up my groupings. However, the side mounting is decidedly awkward, as is turning it on and off. It still fun to mess with, but not ever something I'd use when the shit hits the fan.

Overall, its not a bad piece if you understand its application and its limitations. While its not my absolute favorite gun, I've developed a soft spot for it and still carry it occasionally. Sure, better guns exist but at its price point it serves its purpose pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment