4.09.2016

Fenix E41: A Review



As I mentioned before the Fenix E41 caught my eye, since I was looking for a larger and brighter light but still wanting to stay in the AA format. After strongly considering a few other brands in the 4x AA category, I decided to stick with Fenix and give the E41 a shot. I can't say I was disappointed with any of my other Fenix lights so far, so it seemed like an easy choice. But how would the E41 measure up to the others? That answer lies ahead, but first let's take a look at the specs...



Inside the package you get 4 AA batteries, a black braided lanyard, a spare O ring, a fairly basic belt sheath and the usual warranty and instruction booklet.



Without batteries it weighs in at a bit over 7 ounces and is less than 5 inches tall so it still fits in your pocket, just not as easy your average small and thin EDC type light. In fact for any prolonged use I'd likely use the included belt sheath or just throw it in a bag. But for short term use it isn't that intrusive riding in a front pocket of your jeans. The size is actually quite nice, not too big and not too small.

With 4 modes and the ability to throw a beam over 900 feet it does pack a punch for its size.



However the full 1000 lumen mode is only a momentary mode accessed by holding down the single button, and continuing to do so. While some may find this tiresome, I don't necessarily use it that much so holding the button briefly isn't that bad. Most similar lights have a timed step down anyway so running continuously at max lumens without being interrupted usually isn't an option. This does aid in longevity and ensures no thermal damage. The 400 lumen high mode is generally good enough for most situations and if you need that extra power, burst mode is ready to go as well.

After using the E41 for the past few months I must say I am pretty happy with it.

The light is nicely sized, the single button control is simple...and the beam - wow. Fenix touts this light as a pocket search light and the output definitely reflects that. The beam is very wide and floody, yet still has a distinct hot spot. This thing definitely illuminates a pretty wide area, making it great for exploring or just checking out that noise you heard in the backyard late at night.

Once you get used to the specifics of the user interface (hold to turn on, hold for burst mode etc) it is a pretty solid, dependable offering from Fenix. Overall, if you are looking for a 4x AA light with a really wide beam the E41 is an excellent choice.



4 comments:

  1. Anonymous4/10/2016

    I have an E 41 too and like it. No battery holder to possibly break later and high mode is fairly bright. I was surprised to see so many critical reviews of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I was surprised with a lot of the negative reviews, I don't necessarily think it's a bad flashlight but I think a lot of folks didn't realize how the controls were, bought it and found they didn't like the operation. You literally hold the button for a split second to turn it on/off and this way it will never accidentally engage and drain the battery. Burst mode isn't ideal but I can live with it as I only use for less than a minute at a time anyway.

    I do like the size, the fact it takes AAs, the high mode is sufficient in most situations, the batteries drop right in and by all accounts it's a well made light build to last.

    I considered the Fenix LD41 as well but ultimately decided on this because it was a bit cheaper, more compact and had similar lighting characteristics. All things considered, I think it is a good light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6/09/2016

    I have this and a few other Fenix lights. It isnt the best interface with the single button, but you get used to it. Definitely not as practical as a tail button but I still like it and use it. Just wish burst mode was not a "press and hold" mode. oterwise the beam is good and its bright for a AA light

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very bright light. I think I read on a forum that the light was actually a bit brighter when tested, than what Fenix rates it at. When tested independently high was more like 460 lumens and burst was well over 1000 lumens. Not bad for an AA light.

      I know its a bit of a compromise, but AAs are widely available cells. In an emergency, large or small, they will always be the easiest cells to source. Sure, modern batteries like 14500 cells are better but we aren't yet at a time where you can easily find them at every store.

      Delete