4.12.2016

Zapp's Voodoo Chips: Salty, Crunchy...AMAZING

I'm not really one of those people who actively hunt around for new snacks to try, but every so often you see something and just gotta try it. That something is Zapp's Voodoo potato chips. I found them at (of all places) at my local Dollar Store, crammed tightly next to all the conventional brands we know and love. However, these chips jumped out at me. Was it the bold golden lettering? The colorful bag? The dozens of dolls with pins sticking into them? Or was it something greater and more powerful, like that of voodoo, that drew me in?

Regardless, the bag is quite eye catching and not knowing exactly what flavor category "New Orleans Kettle Style Voodoo" would fall into, I grabbed a bag to satisfy my curiosity, and hopefully hunger as well. There was something unsettling yet exciting about a snack food that had tiny voodoo dolls with needles sticking into them, but without question it was different. And different is good.

As I returned home I unloaded my Dollar Store bag, leaving the Voodoo chips on the table as I prepared lunch. The soft afternoon sunlight reflected off the bag, almost like a beacon, as it laid on the empty table. Almost as it was employing some sort of voodoo trickery to make me forgo my main course and just go straight for the chips. Somehow my will power was strong enough (just barely) and I sat down with my sandwich and drink and reached for the bag.



My first guess in terms of flavor was maybe something spicy, tomato based. Voodoo isn't exactly an easy one to guess. I mean with dill pickle, you pretty much know what you are in for when you open the bag. Voodoo, well, not so much. Upon ripping open the bag I felt compelled to give it the sniff test first. I don't know if this is due to me having a connoisseur moment and treating this like a fine wine tasting event, or if I simply wanted to make sure the smell was not rank.

And rank it was not. The aroma of vinegar and spices drifted out from the bag and made their way into my nostrils. Interesting. It was somewhat familiar smelling, especially with the pungent vinegar scent, but there was something a little different in there was well. Something I couldn't quite put my finger on. Inside the bag were orangey, red kettle chips, all curled up in different ways and all nicely covered in that delicious smelling blend of spices.

Next came the first bite. Crunchy, robust. Definitely not a thin and wimpy chip at all.

The taste was definitely intriguing. At first it tastes like a well balanced blend of salt and vinegar, which gives way to a assortment of different spices, resulting in barbecue type flavor. While the vinegar and salt was a very familiar taste, the BBQ aspect of it created a whole new experience. I have to say, these Zapp's chips have a nice zip to them and I had about half the bag finished before I even touched my sandwich.



Lately, I can't get enough of them. Since they are readily available at my local Dollar Store, I can buy them all the time. Of course, Amazon has them as well but obviously the pricing is quite high with shipping. Though, if it came down to it, I'd probably order a few bags here and there if I had no other option. Seriously, if you see a bag, give them a shot.

These chips are pretty amazing. While the taste, to me at least, is essentially salt and vinegar mixed with BBQ, the spices and flavors used are unique and I can't say I've had any other chips like them before. There is just something about them that makes like them so much. Maybe the bold spices, maybe the cool packaging....or maybe it's just voodoo......

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9/23/2016

    I'm in Canada where our "all dressed up" chips are popular. Since they aren't available in the states I've read people compare these Voodoo chips to them. If so they must be good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for mentioning this!

    Yes, when I first Googled about the Voodoo chips a few comparisons were made to the "All Dressed Up" flavor.

    Interestingly enough Lays did a limited run of them here in the US a few months ago and I tried them. I think they both have a slightly similar flavor, mostly with the prominent vinegar flavor. All dressed up have that same sweet-ish, smokey flavor but it's much more subdued.

    Voodoo chips, to me, just have more of a complex, bold taste and I like them a bit better. Though, the Lays chips are similar and might be better suited for those who find Voodoo to be too salty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1/25/2017

    These things are amazing with cheese dip.

    ReplyDelete